No Ordinary Princess

...anything but ordinary...

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Gotta Love 'Dem Repubs!

You know, sometimes Republicans surprise me by doing something which doesn't raise a stench like a rotting elephant carcass wrapped in shit.

Case in point: John Warner (R-VA, chairman) and fellow members of the Senate Armed Services Committee today approved a bill as an alternative to the one proposed by the current male resident of the White House regarding the disposition of "enemy combatant" detainees. I'll admit I'm just going on what I've heard on NPR since I got home from work but it seems the committee forwarded a bill which will allow for military tribunals for "terrorist" suspects but allows them to have access to all evidence the prosecution uses against them and excludes all statements obtained "through torture or inhumane treatment." The vote was 15-9, with four Republicans joining the eleven Democrats on the committee.

Yeah! Go, you Republicans!

Okay, okay. I wasn't going to go do the research to find out more about this item but, despite the fact that I slaved over a hot table all day, struggling to keep my eyes open as I listened to things I already knew, I couldn't keep you in the lurch there, having to Google things for yourself. Besides, you know I want to go read more about it anyway, don't you?
Here's the word via USA Today, Bloomberg and CBS/AP.

You know, not all Republicans are wealthy, devil-horned, self-righteous, pompous assholes. Same goes for evangelical Christians. Some of them are really very decent folks. The above is one example. Another example is former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who wrote a stirring letter to the Armed Services Committee which, I'm sure, factored into their decision of today. Here's the excerpt of that letter I heard on All Things Considered this afternoon:
The world is beginning to doubt the moral basis of our fight against terrorism
Here's the whole text of the letter in pdf form. Oh, go read this NPR bit, too!

Beginning to? Beginning to??? Puhleaze! The world began to doubt this administration's "moral" basis a long time ago!

In other news, I started my nursing orientation at The Hospital Around the Corner yesterday. Now I work in the ER 7AM to 7 PM tomorrow and three days next week, plus a little 4-hour shift to make up the 40 hours. Ugh! As much as I'm dreading going to work 5 days a week, I think I'm even less enthused about doing a twelve-hour shift. Also, as much as I've thought I should have gone for the 7AM-3PM position with evening rotation, the prospect of getting in to work at 6:45 AM tomorrow leads me to believe I made the right choice with the straight evening shift.

Hell, what I really want is to be independently wealthy. Any givers?

tags: life / money / nursing / US politics / work

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

None of 'em will make much difference. Saw the Barry Goldwater film today; I covered him when he was a Senator and though we rarely agreed, I had respect for his passion, his idealism and his dedication to the nation. It was the same as Johnson's, as Proxmire's, as Mansfield's; just a different side of the aisle. The other day I heard two Dems running for the House and the Senate; both espousing how they wanted change in the nation; how healthcare, Social Security and the middle class had be neglected. Yet both believed that the first order of business when they won would be to investigate, if not impeach the president.

One has to wonder where the dedication to all of has gone; where the priorities are and when our legislators will take on the challenges that will take so long to unravel from this administration.

As to wealth, it's what one makes of life, not from it.

My view.

15/9/06 12:38 AM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

(((Cher))) If only wealth could be counted in hugs and kisses hey? If it was, I'd be the richest bitch on the planet. Considering Ayden spent 45 minutes finding all the different ways to kiss me this morning!

However, some money would be nice too :)

Love Yvonne

15/9/06 7:20 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Yep...even I remember Goldwater and was very impressed by his passion and commitment to what he believed in even though I had no idea what his beliefs were. I was quite young...was that 64? I was 7.

I don't really care so much for getting rid of Bush, though I'd love to see Cheney prosecuted for something! I'm not interested in getting him out...just rein the frigging White House in a bit before the damage is irrevocable. I have real concerns about seeing the harm they have done reversed in my lifetime.

As for the $$, I don't want to be rich, really. I just don't want to have to work for a living. Why can't someone just pay me to travel?

15/9/06 7:23 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Awww, {{{Von!}}} That's so adorable and far more precious than cash! Forget the money; keep the kids!

xoxox

15/9/06 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home