No Ordinary Princess

...anything but ordinary...

Friday, May 12, 2006

"I'm no ordinary princess..."

Those words, "I'm no ordinary princess," are lyrics from a favorite song by my favorite folk artist, Dar Williams. Dar speaks of my life in many of her songs. We seem to have traveled similar paths from different starting points. The end result is the same. We are both women seeking to understand who we are and actively participating in that discovery.

I am a woman. I am a lesbian. I am middle-aged. I became a grandmother for the first time last month. (Thanks, Jen & Mike. Hi, Brendan! Nana loves you! : ) I am intelligent. I am gullible. I am an animal lover, particularly dogs. I am trusting. I am relatively guileless. I try to live a life I can be proud of. I have never felt "ordinary." As a matter of fact, I don't believe I've ever been ordinary.

I am a feminist. I think I am (finally!) coming to understand that.

I am a late bloomer.

I was so entranced with the Sixties I managed to miss the Women's Movement of the Seventies and skipped right over to motherhood in the Eighties.


I hope this little corner of the universe will serve as a place for me to explore what being a feminist means to me, how I feel about being a lesbian, a woman and a political progressive. Feel free to come along for the ride.



I am no ordinary princess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home