No Ordinary Princess

...anything but ordinary...

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Nightingale

There are flocks of nightingales in my small suburb this summer. I only just heard one for the first time a few summers ago in Reading, Pennsylvania on smoke breaks in my old ER. I finally heard one near my home last summer, across the railroad tracks from where I would walk Sadie late at night. I think I'd never heard anything more beautiful except the cooing of my son as an infant, his toddler's belly laugh.

I know the nightingale. I, too, am awake and alone in the middle of the night trying to create beautiful music.

Technorati tag: life

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely scene.

31/5/06 8:01 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Gee, thanks! : )

31/5/06 10:42 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I don't think I know what the nightingale sounds like! Your description inspires me to go learn more. :) nice.

31/5/06 10:45 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Oh, you've never heard anything like it, Sandra! A solitary bird, or two or three, in the dead silence of the middle of the night, trilling series of repeated notes and phrases.

It sounds like many of the beautiful birds that sing at dawn all in one small package.

Please go find one! I'm glad one found me. (Actually, I heard at least two last night...the advantage of insomnia! ; )

1/6/06 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home