No Ordinary Princess

...anything but ordinary...

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Bush Court Starts Biting

Another one thanks to the current male resident of the White House (would that the tree had fallen more true). GWB's Supreme Court (because they sure aren't feeling like my US Supreme Court any more) ruled that the gerrymandering perpetrated by Tom Delay in the state of Texas in 2003 was, basically, constitutionally sound. (CNN story here.)

That means it's open season on Congressional districts now. Any party with a majority in their state legislative bodies will have free rein to redraw US Congressional districts as they see fit, at any time, not just following the results of the census each decade. Only one newly created district in question was found to be in violation of the Voting Rights Act.

It terrifies me that Anthony Kennedy is now the swing vote on the court. He may not have been what Reagan intended but he's no Day O'Connor. If this ruling is an indication of what's to come with the new configuration of the court, I don't think things will be "swinging" in any direction I feel is right or appropriate any time soon.

This is what we will rue most. This will be the greatest of GWBush's many evils.

Technorati tag: US Politics

4 Comments:

Blogger Vanda said...

Greetings from England. I'm de-lurking on all the blogs where I'm a lurker.

We lived in the USA for 23 years and came back home in 2000. I saddens me what bush and his hangers on are doing to a fine, wonderful country. Sighh.

That kind of attitude is making it's way over the pond to his other cronie our mr. blair. They don't deserve to have their names in caps!

29/6/06 8:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Actually, the tree fell true, it was just poorly cut up.

As to the gerrymandering, I've generally mixed feelings about it, as it cuts, no pun intended, both ways. If one is a bit optimistic, however, one might consider that there are a number of states that may well elect Democratic governors, as well as state legislatures and we could see a reversal of fortunes in this area.

As to Texas, who knows, perhaps Kinky Friedman will get elected. Stranger things have happened.

The Supreme Court is a challenge, eh? But this morning it did rule that Bush "overstepped" his authority in the Gitmo trials.

Where there's hope, there's luck.

Hope you had a great vacances.


Refugee

29/6/06 9:45 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Hi Vanda...I've seen you at Nurse Pam's. Welcome to my little corner of the world.

Bush's sick attitude is striking even farther than across the pond. He's found an ally over the big water, too, in John Howard of Australia.

So, we have rising religious fundamentalism in many areas of the world (Sudan, Somalia, all across the Middle East) with an attitude of absolute intolerance rising in the "developed" world to meet it.

Sounds dangerous to me. It's a scary world we live in.

29/6/06 9:47 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Hi Refugee: Call me a starry-eyed idealist (I am a Pisces, after all) but just because something I view as wrong might benefit the political party I primarily support as much as the other side doesn't make it right.

I hadn't heard about the Gitmo ruling. I'm presently listening to PA specific political chatter on my local NPR station and completely missed the morning news. That is very exciting. Hopefully, further calls on the abuse of presidential power will follow. Maybe there is still hope.

Vacanes was tres belle, thanks. I did not want to return.

29/6/06 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home