No Ordinary Princess

...anything but ordinary...

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

US or Them?

I read about this in my Philly Inquirer over "brunch" this afternoon and almost spit my coffee all over the newsprint. Here's the whole AP story from CNN.com.

My favorite part was the first few paragraphs (in all honesty, I couldn't read the whole thing...I was eating after all):

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld on Tuesday accused critics of the Bush administration's Iraq and counterterrorism policies of lacking the courage to fight terror.

In unusually explicit terms, Rumsfeld portrayed the administration's critics as suffering from "moral and intellectual confusion" about what threatens the nation's security.

Addressing several thousand veterans at the American Legion's national convention, Rumsfeld recited what he called the lessons of history, including the failed efforts to appease the Adolf Hitler regime in the 1930s.

"I recount this history because once again we face the same kind of challenges in efforts to confront the rising threat of a new type of fascism" he said.

So...is he talking about Iran or the US?

tags: bitchy / facism / Rumsfeld / US politics

4 Comments:

Blogger belledame222 said...

I love it when they just can't stand it anymore and start blurting it all out without even a pretense at obfuscation.

31/8/06 1:53 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I wish we could get a load of whatever truth serum they spiked his buttermilk with.

31/8/06 2:06 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

I voted for Bush and to be completely honest with you, I'm ashamed of it. One of the more idiotic things I've done in my life, by far. It's a quintessential moment of, "If I knew then what I know now." Since his presidency, our country has become so incredibly divided. I mean, think about it, before Bush, did we ever know what a Blue State or a Red State was. We're now entrenched in a war that could easily go on for another decade and New Orleans remains the sesspool it was immediately after the hurricane. In the future, I believe that people will look back on the Bush Administration with the same ire and deep regret that we do when we look back on the Nixon Administration.

1/9/06 10:49 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I'm a firm believer that shame is of little or no value, especially in a case like this. As they say in Jersey, "Fug-ged aboud it." If you believe that things need to change then do what you can to help affect the positive changes you feel we need rather than beat yourself up for past 'sins.' : )

I couldn't agree with you more in your assessment of the current administration. I was a teenager during Nixon's administration but old enough to have some little understanding of Watergate. I wonder if Bush will not be reflected upon as even worse than Nixon, frankly.

Bush will remain, in my opinion, a greater evil than Nixon. I have never felt as unsafe as I do now...as a woman, a lesbian, an American, a liberal, a worker. I have never been so fearful for the future. This is largely due to the policies and positions of the Bush administration.

If people like you can join us in meeting in the middle somewhere there's hope, though. Find out about your local elections, figure out which candidate appeals to you the most and set to work for them. There's got to be somebody in Texas you feel you could vote for! ; )

1/9/06 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home